TSW. Trichotillomania. Books. Life.

5 QUESTIONS WITH: Holly Dillon from #GetYourSkinOut


It's time for a brand new 5 QUESTIONS WITH this week featuring Holly Dillon from the fabulous campaign #GetYourSkinOut which aims to bring together the psoriasis community and encourages people to share their photos and stories of living with psoriasis. Her #GetYourSkinOut campaign might be aimed at those with psoriasis but the message resonates throughout our entire skin community. I first got to know Holly last year when she contacted me to feature on her Instagram and ever since then, her account has become one of my favourites for the positive message it sends out that I think we can all learn from. I am excited to see where she takes her campaign in the future and I was absolutely thrilled when she agreed to be interviewed for my blog. I'll hand it over to Holly:

1) Tell us a little bit about yourself and your skin journey.
Hey Im Holly, I’m 27, I am addicted to the dance floor, I can really dance all day and all night. Love listening to loud music, love laughing until it hurts, family and friends mean the world to me and in the last year I started the campaign #GetYourSkinOut raising awareness for psoriasis. 

I first got diagnosed at 14 with a little patch under my chin. It took about 4 years to be properly diagnosed and referred to a dermatologist. At 18 I was finally referred being covered about 98% of my body with guttate psoriasis. It's been a long journey spanning 12 years, with many ups and downs, exploring Phase 1-2-3 treatments, as well as more holistic/natural ways to help my skin. I've just started light treatment (UVB) again and am trying to control my psoriasis through a big lifestyle change. I've recently left my job and am pushing  the campaign full time as well as allowing time for myself be it sleeping, relaxing, traveling etc, I’m putting me and my psoriasis first!

2) What is the story behind #GetYourSkinOut?
I decided to start my campaign #GetYourSkinOut because I wanted to give every single person living with psoriasis, including myself, a voice. A voice to communicate, understand and build a community that can relate to your everyday living with psoriasis from treatments, to lifestyle, to outlook. Because psoriasis is a skin condition people often choose to hide behind it. #GetYourSkinOut encourages people to do the opposite - to not be defined by it and to simply show your skin and be empowered by it. By starting an organic conversation, support is given and awareness is being raised - this is the future of getting psoriasis on the map and health agenda.

#GetYourSkinOut aims to speak to everyone living with psoriasis. The campaign encourages people to use the hashtag with a photo, sharing their personal stories about psoriasis. To date the campaign has gathered a unique collection of insights and advice from real people sharing their own experiences. #GetYourSkinOut provides an open platform of support on how to live with, through and beyond psoriasis.

3) Any tips for others who want to get their skin out but feel self-conscious?
#GetYourSkinOut isn’t just about showing your skin, it's about really trying to understand what it's like living with psoriasis and starting a conversation with yourself and others. It's a step by step process and I think for each person it's different as to when they show their skin and #GetYourSkinOut. My tips would be to create situations and have support around you that makes you feel comfortable. Bring everything back to being simple, don't over complicate it and just be honest. My fav line in any situation has always been ‘I have psoriasis.’ It immediately allows you to open up a conversation and I’ve always been surprised by the POSITIVE reaction I’ve had. It doesn’t matter if you are not #GetYourSkinOut you are still in the community and are not alone. Even if you are just an observer and reading/taking in info you are on the right journey to a positive, empowering, attitude to living with psoriasis. You will #GetYourSkinOut when you are ready. 

Holly owning her psoriasis and looking absolutely amazing.

4) Sum up your journey with psoriasis in five words.
Exhilarating, emotional, challenging, growth and shaping.

5) What positives, if any, have you found from having psoriasis?
Starting #GetYourSkinOut, learning and being empathetic, learning to slow down, learning to be vulnerable, learning to have one hell of a sense of humour through it all and most of all being grateful.

Links to her fabulous #GetYourSkinOut campaign:
Tweet: @GetYourSkinOut
Instagram: @GetYourSkinOut
Facebook: facebook.com/getyourskinout
http://www.getyourskinout.com/

Thank you so much for taking part Holly <3


Links to my previous 5 QUESTIONS WITH:
Henni @rawsomesoul (here)
Alice @healthy_healer (here)
Maleeha @TSWHealed (here)
Nina Sloan (here)
Nick @Eczemacism (here)
Stephanie & Isaiah Quinn (here)
Stephanie @TheItchyConundrum (here)
Josh @Redskinrecoverydiary (here)
Briana @PREVENTABLE (here)
Melanie Lynch (here)
Stephanie Miller (here)

#GetYourSkinOut
Cara xxxx

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design by pipdig | © TSW Cara